Friday, April 17, 2009

The Top 10...SHE SAID...

Over the course of the past year and a half, starting when John was training for the ING NYC Marathon, I've learned a lot about what you need on each run when you're training for a big race. So, I've come up with a 'Top 10" list on how to make it through those LOOOONG runs. Most of these are even helpful for those short runs. Maybe if some of you are trying to take on running a race, these 'observations' of mine, could be helpful to you! Let me know!

10. jogging stroller....as I sit here writing this with one finger b/c I'm holding a fussy, teething, 10 month old, I couldn't help but think of all those moms who are trying to get off that baby weight. You can still exercise when you have kids. Jogging strollers can be pricey, but can be found at consignment shops.

9. energy packs (gels).....I've personally never used these, but my husband thinks they're great for those long runs. Supposedly some of them even taste like APPLE PIE! Running and eatin' apple pie at the same time...sounds like my speed!

8. good route/course....What is worse than running 12 miles and having to run the same loop, 12 times! So boring! Find a good route that gives you different scenery. It makes a world of difference!

7. ipod/music/book on tape....Personally, I love my ipod filled with music that gets me energized and ready to run a good distance. I'll do another post later with all the songs I have on my ipod.

6. layered clothing.....Especially when you're actually running the race (1/2 marathon, marathon), you need clothing you can take off. You're going to start a race like this EARLY in the morning when it's cool outside. But, by the time you're on mile 6, you're hot and ready to get rid of some clothing. Some runners toss clothing to the side on the ground and it's picked up later to donate to charity.

5. A goal/race to train for....This is great motivation to train when you have a goal. I'm running the Providence Women's Heart and Sole Race May 16 and I know I have to be able to comfortably run 5 miles by that time.

4. Good shoes/socks....This is especially true for me. I have very flat feet, so I need special shoes and insoles so I don't kill my feet. They even make special socks for marathon runners....but, I warn you, they're not cheap!

3. Water, water, water.....I can tell such a difference in my energy level when I run when I've drank at least 8, 8ounce glasses of water the day BEFORE a run.

2. Toilet paper.....sad, but true. Nature will call during those long runs. So, come prepared!

1. Flexibility....yes, I have a training schedule, but you know what, it's not always going to play out the way I want it to. Life is going to happen. I may get sick, my children may get sick and put a kink in my training plans. But, I've got to roll with it and pick up where I left off.

I hope these make sense and help someone out....

Let me know what you think!

Susan

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck to you on your run today. You are blessed with a truly beautiful day for running and reflection. I will be cutting grass and weeding this huge yard of mine, but you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    Love,
    Phyl

    ReplyDelete