Thursday, April 9, 2009

He Said......She Said.

Well, here we go.....again. If you've read my husband, John's, article in the local newspaper, The Country Chronicle, you know we are undertaking ANOTHER huge feat....running a half marathon. And here's the hilarious part, we're doing it together! So, we're going to take this amazing opportunity to make cracks at each other and criticize. We're also going to have fun and in the process of this journey be as real and honest as possible about our road to running 13.1 miles!



Before we really get rolling, I'd like to give you some background about our experiences with running. In March 2007, my husband, John, decided he wanted to take up running. Not only did he want to take up running, but he wanted to run the New York City Marathon. Yea, I thought he was crazy and I let him know it (you know the rest of you thought he was out of his mind too!). John had only run, at most, 6 miles at one time in his whole life. Then he slept the rest of the day! But, instead of JUST running, he wanted to give himself some real motivation. So, he decided to run for charity. By early November 2007, when we traveled to NYC for the marathon, he had raised $5000 for the Sloan-Kettering Cancer Foundation in NYC and Children's Hospital right here in Columbia. John did finish the marathon....yes, that's 26.2 miles, raise $5000 for charity, lose 30 pounds and run into Katie Holmes.....not bad!



My story is not all that interesting. I really can't believe I'm taking on the daunting task of running 13.1 miles ALL AT ONE TIME!!! While training, at this point, I'm not even doing that much in a week's time! The most I have ever run at one time is five miles, when two years ago, I participated in the Providence Women's Heart and Sole Run. It was so much fun. I ran with a good friend, Lea. It was cold and rainy, but we had a blast. I was 9 months pregnant the following year, but am planning to run it again on May 16 of this year.



We are determined to train, run and finish this half marathon. You probably have many questions, like which 1/2 marathon, where, when, etc..... Well, duh...I guess I should answer those questions! We are running the Rock 'n' Roll Chicago Half-Marathon. We'll be up bright and early to run at 6:30 am on August 2, 2009. If you'd like to check out their website, go to http://www.rnrchicago.com/. We are running for a charity or a family in need which we haven't chosen at this time. We're continuing to pray about the plans God has for us in this venture. We hope you'll keep us and this decision in your prayers also.



Now for the fun part....my rebuttal to John's article in the Country Chronicle which is on stands, today....Thursday, April 9, 2009! Please know both our comments are for fun and it's just how our relationship rolls. So, here goes.....I feel like in the article, I'm made to look like Kate Gosselin in a nasty episode of Jon and Kate Plus 8. John states, he's been doing a lot of "thinking and self-examination" over spring break. This is so true and a good thing to do.....it's just too bad he hasn't been doing the 'thinking and self-examination' while riding the lawn mower around our overgrown yard! John also says I think he's a "daydreamer" when it comes to athletic goals. I don't think he's a daydreamer. John has such a good heart and really just bites off more than he can chew at times. Tell me what you think.....After we run the half marathon, John wants to run ANOTHER marathon and then participate in a triathlon, ALL IN THREE MONTHS TIME!!!!! I bet some of you are mumbling words worse than, "daydreamer" right about now! Finally, John also says I "encourage" him to work out in the only way I know to be most effective. This statement just shows John's good heart I spoke of earlier. I'm sure he really wanted to put "NAG" instead of "encourage." That is an area I need to desperately work on....my encouraging skills. I'll get right on that....once John cuts the yard!



I hope you all have enjoyed this first post on our 'Race 2 Chi-Town.' I'll be writing throughout the week and the many weeks to come. So, please check back and feel free to write comments. I'm also looking for a training plan for running a half marathon. So, if you have any ideas, please let me know!



"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3



Susan

4 comments:

  1. Go Team Combs!! I know that you two can do it and do a great job. The "encouragement" of each other will only make you work that much harder. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you undertake this adventure.

    Love
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan!!! That is so wonderful that the two of you are doing this together, I wish my husband would get that motivation, let alone myself!!! I was going to tell you about a charity that my womens club is sponsoring. Well it really isn't a charity, we are volunteering for a Dam walk across Lake Murray that is sponsoring a child, his name is Law Davis, he has Tuberosclerosis, a horrific form of Autism. I will get you the website. You had said you were not sure who you would be sponsoring, maybe that might be an idea?? Didn't know if you needed a larger charity, because his Mom and Dad are the ones that started the walk for awareness. Take care!! And thanks again for all the help with the shower!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think y'all are so awesome for taking on a 1/2 marathon!! You rock!! You are inspiring me to really get back into running once Greyson is born and I have recovered! You know I wish I could run the Heart and Sole this year like we did 2 years ago but I'll join you again next year!! Good luck with your training and just stick to the verse you put at the bottom of your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Suze,

    How was the run today? I hope that you did not do any major hills today...it's waaaay too hot!

    Can't wait for your post.

    Love
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete