Monday, July 6, 2009

Vacation, Country Chronicle column and t-shirts for sale!!!!

Below is John's Country Chronicle column for the week. Just a reminder, we're taking orders for t-shirts for one more week. The last day to order is THIS FRIDAY, July 10th!!!!!


This week’s column is coming at you from Myrtle Beach while I am on vacation with the family. We are staying at Kingston Plantation where there is a great one mile loop that is perfect for running. As I write this I am less than an hour removed from a nice three mile run. Earlier in the night while I gave our two little girls their bath for the night, my wife went on her three mile run. When she returned from her run, Susan looked great and said it went great and a lot easier than her normal running loop in Lake Carolina. I then went on my run a little after 9:00 PM at night. During the day it is just too hot to run, but when we ran at night with the breeze coming off the ocean, it felt just nice and warm. Thirty plus minutes later when I was done with my three mile run, I felt like I had just jumped into the ocean and hopped out because I have sweated so much. I am starting to wonder if Susan really went for a three mile run or if she ran down to the lobby of the Embassy Suites to get a little Starbucks.

As I write this paragraph I am less than fifteen minutes removed from getting busted by my wife digging into the pantry for a late night snack. While on vacation I do not see anything wrong with a little late night snack, but my choice of snack being a small cup full of mini chocolate chips is what got me in trouble. As I was pouring the delicious mini morsels into the cup my wife unexpectedly walked in viewing the entire scene. She asked me (as if she had no clue) what was I doing. I don’t recall exactly what my response was but some stuttering was involved I am sure. My wife then in a very sarcastic, but yet serious tone, “I bet you won’t write about this in your column.” In the end, better judgment prevailed and I put back the chocolate chips and settled on a Nature Valley Trail Mix Bar. It is always good to have a voice of reason in your house.

Before we loaded up our family truckster (Google family truckster if you have no clue what I am referencing here) and headed over to the beach for our family vacation my wife and I went to Charleston for a wedding in which I was a groomsman. While in Charleston and my wife and I each had to run four miles. It was just our luck the hotel we were staying at had a fitness room that had two nice treadmills side by side. For the first time ever we decided to get a run in together. Since both of us had to run four miles I asked my wife if she would like to race. She declined the challenge, but I still decided I was going to race. I am proud to say I came out on top just seconds in front of Susan with my late surge on the treadmill. I chose to be dignified and not to boast in a wild celebratory manner. A simple double fist pump and throwing up both hands as if someone just scored a touchdown was my means of expressing my 100% meaningless victory.

In four weeks we will be in running the Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago Half Marathon in support of one year old Kayla Reese Jowers who in the past few months was diagnosed with Tetrasomy X. Tetrasomy X is an extremely rare genetic disorder. The Ridge View boys basketball team will be selling turquoise t-shirts to raise money for Madison’s Foundation in honor of Kayla Reese (www.madisonsfoundation.org). Madison’s Foundation is dedicated to improving the quality and quantity of information available to parents of children with rare, life-threatening diseases, and to facilitating effective communication among parents, physicians and medical experts. Each T-shirt is $15 and 100% of the proceeds after the expenses of printing the t-shirts have been paid will go to Madison’s Foundation. Please visit our blog at www.Race2Chi-Town.blogspot.com to get information on how you can order a shirt. All t-shirt orders must be received by Friday, July 10, 2009

If you have any questions please feel free to call me, John Combs, at 803-348-2365 or e-mail: jcombs@richland2.org

No comments:

Post a Comment